Mid-Columbia Medical Center was founded by local residents for local residents. We are proud of our community heritage.
1901: Hospital established in the Rinehart family home by pioneers Dr. Belle Cooper Rinehart and Dr. Mary Powell Johnson.
1903: Rinehart family home is expanded to enlarge the hospital that becomes known as The Dalles Hospital.
1959: The Dalles Hospital moves into newly built facility on 19th Street that was funded with donations by local residents, businesses, physicians and hospital staff.
1979: 20 years after being built, the 19th Street facility is expanded by 20,000 square feet to accommodate more patients, more beds and other improvements.
1982: Hospital begins offering on-site childcare.
1983: Name is changed to Mid-Columbia Medical Center to more accurately reflect its emergence as a regional resource for comprehensive healthcare.
1983: The Mid-Columbia Health Foundation is established to provide financial support to MCMC and help ensure local residents have access to quality health care close to home.
1992: MCMC becomes the first hospital in the nation to implement house-wide the Planetree philosophy of patient care, which emphasizes the need to address a person’s intellectual, environmental, emotional and spiritual concerns in addition to their physical needs.
2001: MCMC opens Celilo Cancer Center, the only comprehensive cancer center in the Gorge.
2009: Water’s Edge is opened on Lone Pine Blvd., featuring a medical fitness center and non-traditional therapies.
2016: MCMC expands into Hood River in order to increase the availability of health care services in the Gorge.
2018: MCMC named a Top Workplace by The Oregonian, based solely on employee feedback.
2019: MCMC adds 3D Mammography, the latest technology in breast cancer detection, to its radiology services.
2020: In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, MCMC opens the region’s only Immediate Care Center, a walk-in clinic for urgently needed care.
2021: MCMC partners with Adventist Health Portland’s Northwest Regional Heart & Vascular Center to bring nationally recognized cardiovascular services to The Dalles.