Mid-Columbia Medical Center Takes Step Toward Bold Future for Healthcare in the Gorge
MCMC to Collaborate with Wasco County, City of The Dalles on Site for New Hospital Campus/Athletic Complex
(THE DALLES, Ore.- Nov. 3, 2021) – Leaders from Mid-Columbia Medical Center (MCMC) received the support of Wasco County Commissioners today to move forward with a process to envision a new hospital campus that will increase access to healthcare services for residents of The Dalles and Columbia River Gorge.
At Wednesday’s County Commission meeting, health system leaders shared more about their bold vision for a bright future for healthcare in the community – one that will reflect the best of what 21st century has to offer. Specifically, the vision includes replacing the health system’s existing facility on 19th Street and creating a campus at Kramer Field. Benefits of the vision include:
- A new healthcare campus that would not only include a new hospital with all private rooms, but also be the home of the Celilo Cancer Center as well as a new inpatient behavioral health center and mental health services in partnership with the Columbia Gorge Resolution Center, which is currently in the development stages.
- The ability to increase access and remove current barriers of entry that exist today for patients, their families, and our team members. In addition, a new facility would provide additional opportunities for our employees and providers, including a modern work environment that puts patients at the center, offering a better healing environment and meeting patient expectations in our Planetree culture.
- A new Kramer Field, which has the potential to be the premier youth athletic complex in the state of Oregon, introducing out-of-town spending from tournament vendors, participants and their families, among others.
- The current MCMC campus, which occupies 12.5 acres, will be earmarked to be repurposed into residential housing, in concert with City and County needs for residential housing.
- Leaders from MCMC will work in collaboration with officials from Wasco County, the City of The Dalles and members of the community throughout the envisioning phase of the project and to create and define scope, timeline, goals and identify important stakeholders.
No public bonds will be issued for the project.
MCMC is committed to being open and transparent throughout the process and will keep the community informed throughout the journey. The health system has established a page on its website (mcmc.net/FutureHealthcare) where members of the community can stay updated on the project’s progress.
Media Note: If you would like to request an interview, please contact Travis Dray at 541-506-5750.
About Mid-Columbia Medical Center
Founded in 1901, Mid-Columbia Medical Center is a nationally recognized hospital dedicated to serving residents of The Dalles and its surrounding communities. In 1992, MCMC became the first hospital in the nation to integrate the Planetree philosophy of patient care, which emphasizes the need to address a person’s intellectual, environmental, emotional and spiritual concerns in addition to their physical needs. As a Planetree-affiliated hospital, MCMC works to provide a caring, nurturing and educational environment; puts great efforts into humanizing and demystifying the medical experience; and strives to empower people to become active partners in their own healthcare. For more information visit mcmc.net.
# # #