At MCMC Celilo Cancer Center, the only cancer center in the Columbia River Gorge accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer (CoC), our medical professionals are ready to help you fight cancer from every angle; mind, body, and spirit.
Our person-centered philosophy ensures that we are open and honest with our patients and their families. The effects of cancer are life-changing, so we provide as much information as possible so you and your family can make well-informed decisions regarding your care and start planning for the future.
Cancer is, in many cases, very treatable. We provide you with numerous resources to manage this condition’s physical, mental, and emotional aspects.
Cancer is caused by abnormal cells multiplying in a specific area of the body. Our skilled oncologists employ various medical techniques to destroy the cancer cells and prevent them from spreading throughout the body. We also utilize state-of-the-art technology to accurately diagnose and treat the disease.
Several effective oncology treatment options include, but are not limited to:
- Immunotherapy/Biotherapy: Bolstering the body’s immune system to better fight off invading cancer cells can help to slow or even stop the growth of cancer cells and prevent cancer from spreading to other parts of the body. There are several types of immunotherapies, and your treatment may involve taking Monoclonal antibodies, cancer vaccines, or another non-specific form of immunotherapy.
- Targeted Therapies: One of the most challenging aspects of cancer treatment is that it’s difficult for medications such as chemotherapy to distinguish between healthy cells and cancer cells. Targeted therapy uses customized drugs that target specific molecular parameters so that they go straight for the diseased cells while leaving the healthy ones alone.
- Chemotherapy: Treating the disease utilizes drugs that target and attack malignant cancer cells to selectively destroy the cells causing damage. While radiation and surgery work more effectively with confined cancer cells, chemo can work throughout the entire body.
- Surgery: Removing the diseased portion of the body before cancer cells spread to other sections is typically conducted along with other methods to ensure the complete destruction of all remaining cancer cells. Surgery may also be used to determine the current state of the diseased section.
- Radiation Therapy: Destroying a confined section of cancer cells by blasting it with high-energy radiation is typically utilized in conjunction with surgery and chemotherapy and when the cancer is concentrated in one area of the body.
- Speech-Language Pathology – Cancer of the head and neck may make it difficult for the patient to speak or even swallow without difficulty. Our speech-language pathologists (SLPs) train patients on techniques to improve speech and restore function to the throat.
Our medical professionals have extensive knowledge and experience in the effects and treatments for cancer. Once we diagnose your condition, we will work together to determine the best course of action for you. You can rest assured that our skilled oncologists will work day and night to help you.